Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Traveler's Gift

I spent the weekend in the mountains visiting with my Mom and Dad. My wife Karen bought me a book tape to enjoy on my trip. The book is entitled "The Traveler's Gift", by Andy Andrews. I must confess my envy in wishing I had written such wonderful book. The book investigates the 7 decisions that every successful person make, but does so in the context of a well conceived plot. Honestly, this is a book I need to read every six months.

The weekend was a memory maker. First, I really enjoyed spending some quality time with my parents in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. Saturday I got in an epic ride which included an 11 mile climb to the top of Waterrock Knob......I'm still gasping for air. And finally, we capped off a great day at the Balsam Mountain Inn enjoying wonderful dinner and soaking in the fresh Spring mountain air. As if that wasn't enough, the Balsmam Mountain Inn was hosting one of its famous Songwriters in the Round evenings, from which the whole concept of Psalmwriters was born. www. psalmwriters.org.

I often tell Meredith that great men and women see the significance of moments while they occur. I'll leave history to judge my greatness, but this weekend was one clearly recognizable as a memory maker that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Indeed, this traveler was given a gift of a different sort, one of quality parent time with elder ailing parents....a gift of no less significance than that discussed by Mr. Andrews. But like the central charactor, my eyes were opened to so much for which I should be grateful.

No comments: